Lima: City of Kings...or...CATS!



Every darn tootin´ place I´ve been to on this backpacking trip thus far has been overrun by four-legged creatures with wagging tails, nasty breath and endless yapping. In fact, in Quito, every home seemed to have its very own guard dog who lived on the rooftop 24/7 and would bark incessantly whenever the wind blew (which meant they practically never stopped yapping thus negating the need for alarm clocks or roosters). But in Lima?!? I was delightfully surprised to encounter MUCHO GATOS!! Meow Mix indeed.

First of all we had Janis, the Siamese cat, in temporary residence at Pucllana Lodge whom I mentioned in my previous blog entry. But on Monday (Nov 28) I happened to be walking in Parque Kennedy in the Miraflores District when I spied a congregation of homeless cats being fed beside the church there. I actually did a double-take as I walked past for my eyes could not believe what they were seeing! There were at least 30 cats blanketing the lane and their meowing was music to my ears! Apparently these cats are abandoned by their owners and hang out in this area because they are regularly fed by sympathetic local animal lovers, including some of the construction workers on a nearby worksite. There is even a little sign posted there which encourages passersby to help take care of them. A lady asked if I wanted to adopt one of them and I oh so
would´ve if I could´ve! But I did the next best thing and bought some chicken and a bag of dry cat food at a nearby supermarket and then fed the sweet critters. They surrounded me as I was feeding them and if ever the term ¨Cat Lady¨were appropriate, it was at that moment, he he.

Feeding the homeless Miraflores cats made my heart swell and the cats, of course, purrrrrrrr.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overlanding in Namibia Part III

Overlanding in Namibia Part II

In the footsteps of the Incas - Part I