I`m Digging these Archaeological Digs!


I was colorfully surprised by rainbowesque Trujillo as they`ve beautifully restored and brightly painted many Spanish colonial buildings, particularly around the Plaza de Armas, which is an absolute must-see when it`s lit up at night. I spent the night at the delightful Hotel Colonial and apparently was given a discount on account of my charming personality. Ha! Seriously, I have no idea why I was given a better single room rate than another woman I met staying there. I`m sure it had nothing to do with my provacative skintight clothing and bright red lipstick (Anyone who knows me and my proclivity for turtlenecks and conservative dress should realize I`m 100% joking). I would certainly prefer to think it is due to my looks and polite manner but...

The hotel has a travel company on the premises to which I availed myself as I wished to visit the 2 major archaelogical sites in the viscinity of Trujillo. A combined tour ticket only cost 40 soles (+ site admission fees) and was done in English & Spanish to boot.

In the morning we visited Las Huacas del Sol y de la Luna, i.e. the Temples of the Sun and the Moon, which were built by the Moche civilization around 600 AD. They were impressive to be sure but it seems the Moche people were a bit fixated on the practice of human sacrifice. Practically 50% of the museum explained the rituals surrounding sacrifice and I don`t think this was an attempt to satiate the blood lust of modern visitors.

I encountered a unique canine speciman at the temples as well - the Peruvian hairless dog (which is unfortunately butt-ugly besides). Interestingly, the body temperature of these pathetically unattractive creatures is higher than that of normal dogs so they`re used by people suffering from arthritis as bed warmers. Perhaps I should ship one home as a prezzie for my mom?!?

In the afternoon, we visited the vast archaeological site Chan Chan, built by the Chimu people around 1300 AD only to be pretty much abandoned about 150 years later when the Inca came & conquered. It too was impressive, due to its grand scale! The king in this society, my guide informed me, was buried in a tomb along with his 13 decidedly unlucky concubines and lord only knows how many wives.

At the end of the tours, I was kindly depositied along with my backpack in the surfing hamlet of Huanchoco, 12km northwest of Trujillo where I will be chilling out for the next couple of days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overlanding in Namibia Part III

Overlanding in Namibia Part II

In the footsteps of the Incas - Part I