How I love thee Vilcabamba


November 12-17, Hosteria Izhcayluma, Vilcabamba

How do I love thee, Hosteria Izhcayluma, let me count the ways...

I have seriously been in paradise personified these past 5 nights/4 days! All the things which bring me bliss have been present: friendly frisky cats, plentiful hiking trails, fresh air, coffee that comes from a plant and not a jar, an ooh-la-la spa offering facials (Yes, please pinch & purge my nose of nasty blackheads!), a restaurant that serves so many vegetarian options that my head spun and I automatically belched outloud in appreciation, an incredibly helpful and engaging multi-lingual staff, and perhaps most importantly, cooperative weather!

I am loathe to move on but Peru beckons and I have been in Ecuador for nearly six weeks so surely I need to forge onwards? Sigh...But let me tell you a few of the highlights of my time in Vilcabamba.

I arrived on Saturday (Nov 12) afternoon at about 2 PM and was immediately struck by the presence of oodles of hippie gringoes. The town itself is quite small and the main square is adorned with internet cafes and healthy organic restaurants such as "The Juice Bar" where they serve kale chips (but of course). My hosteria was actually 2k outside of town and I didn't realize that the white pickup trucks driving around town were a local form of taxi service so I ended up trudging uphill for the aforementioned 2k with my heavy pack and it almost killed me. Talk about a Jane Fonda workout!!

Upon checking in, I was over-the-moon ecstatic to see a friendly, familiar face -Veronica, from my Bellevista Lodge excursion!! I'd had no idea she would be here. I guess it was just meant to be and it allowed us the opportunity to cement our friendship. On Sunday (Nov 13), after a delightful free breakfast buffet with the best coffee I've had since coming to South America, we went for a three-hour hike which took in the wee village of San Jose and the river nearby in which we waded while singing the Duran Duran ditty, "Rio".

On Monday(Nov 14), although it was raining when we first woke up, we decided to risk hiking the "Waterfall Trail", which starts 4 kilometers from Vilcabamba on the outskirts of the Podocarpus National Park. Mind you, this was the muddiest of muddy walks I've ever done (except for that one time in band camp Sussex, England, when I fell into mud so deep that it literally sucked my shoes off my feet and I then had to catch a bus into Brighton in just dirty socks so as to purchase new gymshoes). Oh yeah! The waterfall was pretty...darn...impressive.

On Tuesday morn (Nov 15), Ronnie sadly departed back to Cuenca leaving me alone once more. The weather was looking undesirable so I decided to forego hiking and instead walked into Vilcabamba and had a wander around town then skedaddled it back to my hostel. I was rather eager to spend some quality time in my private cabana ($25) whcih I had moved into that day after spending my first 3 nights in the dorm ($10) with 20's something drunk backpackers prone to stumbling in loudly at night.


Wednesday (Nov 16) was HOT and SUNNY so I laced up my hiking boots once more and did a five-hour hike to the off-the-beaten-track village of Tumianuma. The way there wasn't particularly that difficult but returning was a downright bitch as the weather had gotten quite hot and the sun beat down mercilessly on my hatless head. If I'd carried a full liter of water, I'd have been hunky dory but...cry me a sweaty river!! I only encountered one other hiker that day going the opposite way so it was basically just me, the frightfully annoying buzzing flies and plentiful piles of donkey/horse poop on the trail.

The only negative thing to report during these past few days of bliss was being bitten by some invisible bugs all over my lower legs the first couple of nights in the dorm. The bites itched so unbelievably much that I actually scratched the skin off a number of the bites. Decidedly unpleasant and unattractive. I visited a pharmacy in Vilcabamba and bought some calamine lotion which unfortunately brought me zero relief. On the third day of my misery, after a long, hot shower, I rubbed my calves with an emollient pomegranate massage bar I'd brought from the States and this miraculously killed the itch!!! Thank you, thank you, Lush Cosmetics (Plug, plug)!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overlanding in Namibia Part III

Overlanding in Namibia Part II

In the footsteps of the Incas - Part I