A Day With Paco




Friday, October 14, Otavelo.

Today was memorable for I went on a day trip with Elena's husband, Paco. We traveled to Otavelo which was roughly a 2-hour drive. It was significantly foggy throughout the drive obscuring our views of the mountains along the Norte Pan American Highway (but it was clear when we returned in the afternoon so...no biggie).

Otavelo is well-known for its Saturday artisan market, but as we were there on the day before, we missed the touristic masses but I still felt that I got a decent sampling of the crafts/wares for sale. I resisted the urge to buy, buy, buy (due to backpack limitations) but did purchase a pair of earrings made out of some sort of green bead for just a buck.

But better than the market for me was visiting the waterfall on the outskirts of town. It was beyond picturesque, replete with a rainbow and grotto in which Paco urged me to explore (as he knew that its dark tunnel led to an open cavern). It took me two attempts to traverse the tunnel if I'm to be perfectly honest as the first time I got claustrophobic and freaked out a little because it was pitch black for about ten feet or so and I was forced to feel my way through blindly while bending over so as not to bump my noggin.

Another lovely moment was when Paco led me up to the edge of the waterfall near enough that we were blasted by the spray of the falling water. He encouraged me to lift both of my arms up above my head and yell out in jubilation to the heavens above and then symbolically move our arms down our bodies as if we were washing ourselves clean of all troubles and worries. You know what? It worked!! That's two "baptisms" in one week to anyone who's counting.

The only slightly nerve-wracking moment of the day occurred once we were bound for Quito as the police had closed the highway due to a colossa1crash. We were diverted (along with all other vehicles including the trucks and buses!) onto a side road with huge potholes and puddles. Furthermore, the road was oftentimes too narrow for traffic moving both ways, let alone traffic which included vehicles of such large proportions. Thankfully, we managed not to run off the road into the deep ditch but it was a matter of inches.


Note on Ecuador: Having been in and out of a few cities now, I've noted the presence of a number of American fast food chains. You say you're not surprised?!? So far I've spotted Mickey D's of course, and KFC but no Burger King. There's also Domino's, Papa John's and Pizza Hut. But my favorite chain of all?? Texas Chicken!! It appears to be some sort of poor distant kissin' cousin of KFC - I must try and get a photo of its tacky and slightly disturbing storefront sign with its ginormous chicken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overlanding in Namibia Part III

Overlanding in Namibia Part II

In the footsteps of the Incas - Part I